August 27, 2010

Have a Blast

Hi!  I'm CherB from Cheryl's Window and I'm so excited to be visiting with you as a Guest Designer again at She's a Sassy Lady!


My project today is a birthday card that I made for my Dad.  My Dad loves dragons and Asian inspired art (as does my mom), so I knew I wanted to make something with the Pagoda cartridge.  I chose to cut that really great dragon.  From there, inspiration just took over.

I used my Gypsy to place the dragon, his shadow, and his layer on my virtual mat, arranging it so that I could cut these in different colored papers.  I also decided that I wanted him to be breathing fire, so with the help of my daughter, we were able to find some great swirls on Ashlyn's Alphabet.   We took these swirls and layered them together welding them and adjusting size and rotation until we had our visualized flame.   We cut the flame out of Ranger glossy cardstock.

I then ran the dragon through my Big Shot using Japanese Scales Cuttlebug embossing folder.   I was concerned how this would actually work on these detailed cuts, but it really worked well.   I then wanted to give our dragon a shimmer, so out came our Perfect Pearls in Forever Red, Forever Green, and Blue Smoke.  I lightly misted the dragon with a little water to give the pearls something to cling to and set to.  I then randomly brushed in and rubbed in the Perfect Pearls.  

Here is a closer look so that you can see how well the embossing came out and how great the Perfect Pearls added to our dragon. 


I took the flame cut from glossy cardstock and colored this using Ranger's Alcohol Ink markers.  
It's then time to put it all together.  First, I layered all the Cricut cuts and glued them together.  I did add a little Ranger Black enamel to the talons and some bling for an eye.   The patterned paper is Basic Grey Scarlet Letter.   I added a path of pebbles aka buttons to the card base and popped up the dragon and flame with pop dots.   I added some metal rhinestones in the circle to balance the color and add some more pizzaz and provide a chance to play with the Irock.  :-)  Finally, I inked around the edges on the sides and bottom with Distress Black Soot.  This finished off the front of the card.   

For the inside. I added another layer to my Gypsy file and created a basic shape with Gypsy Wanderings and sized it to fit as an inner layer on the inside of my card.   I then opened another layer /page in my Gypsy and using my shape as a template, I centered my sentiment using Ashlyn's Alphabet font.   The sentiment reads "Have a Blast".  


I loaded metallic orange Cri-Kits pen in my Cricut and cut/wrote out my sentiment.  
I swapped out the Cri-Kits pen and holder and put my blade back in.  Switched back to second layer/page on my Gypsy and CUT the inner card shape.  


Again, I inked the edges with some more Black Soot and finished the inside of my card. 


And gave it to my Daddy when we went to lunch!  Obviously, this is me and my Daddy.  

Hope you enjoyed your visit today.  Thanks for stopping by She's A Sassy Lady today, and hope you come visit at Cheryl's Window to see some of my other projects.  I love making new friends. 


14 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

What a lovely birthday card Cheryl. The colors on that dragon - WOW! and the paper is perfect for him. Love the buttons! Great photo of you and your Dad. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial and another great use for our Cri-Kit gel pens!

Wilfreda said...

This looks great. I really like it.

Sentimental Scrapper said...

Great card!! Love all of the bling, especially the perfect pearls!! Wow!

Granny said...

Beautiful card. my grandson loves dragons and he would just love this card! TFS

Sandy from Ukiah said...

What an awesome card. AND a great picture of you and your dad... I loved the idea of using the gel pens for the inside sentiment.

mfc.melissamade2 said...

What a great card - thanks so much for sharing!
Melissa

Jean said...

This is so cute!!

Michele said...

Oooh, wonderful card! I love it!

Audrey Frelx said...

Cheryl, I saw this card on your blog and commented. But it's worth saying again -- this card is awesome!

Debbie said...

Left you a comment on your blog! Clever you - such a creative card!

Jana said...

Absolutely stunning! Love it. I need to look at this cart again.

Sue said...

Great idea; never thought I'd want that cartridge, but now -- maybe.......

Michele said...

Very nice and you look alot like your dad.
Beautiful eyes!

June said...

Love your card and that dragon is awesome!!!! Sweet photo of you and your dad!!!!! Thanks for a great tutorial!!!!