June 28, 2011

My first guest designer post!

Hey everyone~Happy Tuesday to you~


This is Stacy from Lovethatbug!
Well, here it is. My first day as a guest designer at Sheila's blog. Thank you so much Sheila for having me over today!
I am a lil nervous, so I am coming in with my tail between my legs. LOL
Anyway, today I thought we would do a lil glass etching. It is really easy and you only need a few things to get started!

Just some vinyl, Armour Etch, Foam Brush and some transfer tape.

The design I chose was a flourish from the Cindy Loo cartridge. I find it works best with a design that isn't very intricate. Once you find a design you like lay your vinyl onto mat and load in the Cricut. You need to adjust your settings at this point. For my machine it was 3-3-3. You might want to do a test cut first. You want the Cricut to cut the vinyl but not thru the backing. (this is called a kiss cut)
I cut out as many as I thought I needed (6). Then you want to peel the vinyl off your mat.
Then you want to remove the inner part of the design, as if you were making a stencil.

Once the design is removed, apply your transfer tape to to the top of the design. Make sure you burnish once the tape is applied. Remove the backing of your design, making sure the vinyl sticks to the tape.

The next step is a lil tricky if you are working on a curved surface. If this is your first time I recommend trying a flat surface first. Take your design and apply it to whatever you want to etch. You want to burnish again, really well here. Make sure there are no bumps around the design. Bubbles on the vinyl are ok, just make sure they are not near the design. Once you have your design in place, remove the tape making sure the design sticks to the surface.


Next comes the fun part, the actual etching! Shake the container really well before you start to make sure it is thoroughly mixed. Working in small amounts, carefully apply the etching cream using the foam brush. Apply a thick and even coat, but make sure it isn't to thick to where it is going to run. I think the bottle says around 5 mins, but I usually allow the cream to stay on about 20-25 minutes.

Now it is time to rinse away the cream. I just use warm tap water and rub the cream off while the vinyl is still attached. I continue to rinse until there is no more white left. Once it is thoroughly rinsed off, remove the vinyl, and then wash with soapy water.

And Ta-da, that is it! Pretty easy right? Oh, there is one more thing, just sit back and enjoy what you created :)
These make great gifts, and the possibities of what you can etch are endless.
Hope you had fun!

Here is a close up of the design of the etching,



Ok, now I am off to go fill this up with a pretty chocolate cake! Once again, thank you so much Sheila for having me visit today, I had a lot of fun
Hugs, Stacy

12 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Stacy this is a WONDERFUL project. I just love glass etching and all the wonderful projecsts you can make with it. This is not only great for yourself but what a wonderful personalized wedding gift it could make... love te possibilities.
Thanks for the step by step tutorial to help us along the way.

Sandy from Ukiah said...

I agree with Shelia, you did awesome with your step by step tutorial... and what great gifts we can make with glass etching..

Anonymous said...

Isn't that pretty. I have to give this a try. TFS
Sue

Granny said...

Very very pretty and so easy to follow along, Thanks

Unknown said...

Great project!!! I have not yet tried this but have owned etching cream for about a year!! Thinking about that chocolate cake....yum!

Anonymous said...

Where's the cake? Love the dish but that chocolate cake sounds real good about now! LOL
Ann

Audrey Frelx said...

Stacy, sweetie, it looks wonderful!!!

Sheila has a great DT team and welcome!!! You've started off with a great project and tutorial!!!

Sherrie K. said...

Wahoo Stacy~Wonderful project!! TFS!
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

Java Jen's Creations said...

Welcome!! Your project and tutorial are totally awesome!! I keep saying that I am going to do glass etching and this project may spur me on to do just that!! Thanks!!

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Great tutorial, Stacy! I've always wanted to work with glass. Our upstairs neighbor does glass and is always promising to come down and show me how. Now I don't have to wait for him!

MaryNSC said...

Every thing she touches turns to GOLD.. Can not wait to try this.. THANK UUU

SherriC. said...

Stacy, you did a great job on your tutorial, but I know that feeling, I was so nervous when I did my first post here, actually I am still a little nervous....there is so much talent here......
I look forward to visiting your blog......