January 15, 2013

Calming Butterfly!

Hi there everyone, it's me - Karon - from Karon's Krafty Korner to share a little bit of creativity with you today.

My daughter, Shannon, is busy studying and doing last minute assignments for her first semester(just ending) at High School.  She was getting a little stressed out the other day, so I decided to make her a notice for her room.

Now you no doubt have been seeing these all over the web, but this is my version for my daughter.


I have recently (thanks to my darling hubby) come into the possession of a Silhouette Cameo and have been enjoying playing with it.

For my project, I took a dollar store 8" by 10" canvas and painted it lilac - one of Shannon's favourite colours.


Exciting isn't it!  LOL!

Next came the vinyl cut - oh it was so easy to do - picked a font - typed up what I want and cut away!


Now, I know I could have taken the easy way out and centred it all and left space, but I'm not one to waste vinyl, and I could have saved more, but wasn't thinking when I took off the excess stuff. So, to position the words straight on the canvas, I take each word and using the transfer tape (Walmart clear contact adhesive - shelf liner!) and a piece of straight card stuck just underneath the wording, I am able to position them.


The one thing I did find, with working on the canvas is that you need to burnish (as in rub) the vinyl quite well  so that it adheres to the canvas.  I used my little Cricut scraping tool.


Next came the butterfly.  The file for this comes from Birds Cards, oh my she has some amazing files and all are free and she is constantly adding to them.  There are two butterflies with shadows - I used one of them and then the hearts are from the inside wings of the other :-)

I chose a butterfly to add to this project, because they always look so calm and peaceful, just fluttering around.  The hearts are just to show my daughter how much she is loved and to just not stress!

Sorry, I meant to show the cut too - but you know how it goes.  Here's a close up of the butterfly with the bling:-)  The different colour bling was to add a pop of colour other than the lilac. I used the Swiss Dots embossing folder for the butterfly and the Devine Swirls folder for the hearts.


I added some Smile ribbon around the edge of the canvas using strong double sided sticky tape.  To remind Shannon to keep on smiling :-)


Staple gunned the ribbon to hang it - so it won't come off and used some little buttons and twine to hide the staple, attached these using the hot glue gun :-)


So that's it for this months visit.  Thanks again for putting up with me Sheila.


Happy crafting everyone.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Karon this is so sweet!!! I use vinyl a lot, but I love your centering tip!!! I am lazy and let my Gypsy center for me :)

I hope your daughter gets through finals!!!

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

What a great project and so pretty... My children loved signs on their doors when they were growing up. Wish I would have had my machines back then! Thanks for sharing.

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

Karon, great project! Congrats on your new Cameo - I can tell you're already in love with it ;). Have fun with it and I can't wait what else you come up with next!

Java Jen's Creations said...

What a wonderful, beautiful project!! Every detail is absolutely perfect!!

Created by Kathi said...

Love this sign you made for your daughter... thanks for going into detail on the vinyl... I haven't done a project with vinyl yet and I wanted to! Thanks for sharing! Kathi

Karon said...

Thanks everyone - hope you are all having a great week.

Ian said...

Karon! This is so cute!!! I love it! You did an amazing job. I will hopefully scraplift this soon! :)