January 14, 2013

Music in me - altered notebook



Hello there bloggers!  This is Melody from A Splash Here and There blog and it's my first DT post here at She's a Sassy Lady blog.  I am so excited and so very honored that Sheila asked me to be part of her wonderful DT.  I’m sharing with you all an altered notebook for my 7 year old DD.  All cuts were done using the Cameo after designing with cuts purchased through the Silhouette Store, unless otherwise indicated.

My DD loves to write and has taken to writing her own songs.  We recently bought this notebook for $2.50 during our last trip to Michaels and she found one with the first initial of her name.



She would have been happy with just this but she has me for a mom so I had to jazz it up  bit ;).  My Cameo helped me pretty it up. 

This is how the first page looks like all plain.



I cut out two of the scalloped frames by Silhouette (free Design ID #16701) in purple CS and ran one through the CB with Swiss Dots folder.  I also cut the bottom layer of the title “Music” in the same color CS and ran that through the CB with D’vine Swirls folder.  The “Music” (Design ID #15245)  title is by Loni Stevens. I used the Times New Roman font for the “in” and the Janda Curlygirl Serif font for the “me” (used offset feature to create the shadow.  The set of bar of music notes is also by Loni Stevens (Design ID #16431 ).  The lone clef bar is by Echo Park (Design ID #26897).   Below are the cuts before assembly.



I decorated the outside first then moved on to the inside.  I used foam mounts for some of the cuts after I was pleased with my arrangement.



(a closer look at the pieces foam-mounted)

For the inside, I took a strip of matching green ribbon and attached a small part of one end on the inside cover of the notebook using double-sided tape.  This will serve as the ribbon bookmark.
 


Then after carefully measuring the inside cover and the position of the square window, I designed a panel to cover the ribbon and the whole inside cover. 



After adhering this panel to the inside cover, I glued the other bar of notes on it.  I also used the same scalloped frame around the letter M on the first page of the notebook. 



Now it's time to decorate the ribbon bookmark. 



I cut another clef bar by Echo Park out of an old Cricut cartridge blister pack.  I do this to make cuts more durable.  I ran the two black clef bars through my Xyron sticker maker to make them stick better onto the plastic piece.  After sticking all three together, I attached it to the end of the ribbon book mark and also attached an ornate looking button for some interest. 



Hope you like my first contribution as DT at She’s a Sassy Lady.  See  you all again soon!  Thanks again Sheila for allowing me to share with your readers ;). 

5 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Wow! What a Great design I love the bright colors. Thanks for your instructions and joining our team we appreciate having you. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

What a great altered notebook!! I love how you made the clef bars into a charm!! I will have to remember this trick!!

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

Thanks ladies! My DD was so happy with the end result ;)

Karon said...

This is fabulous - what a great project. Love the notes!! TFS

Created by Kathi said...

What a great altered notebook... so glad your dd loves it! Thanks for sharing your talent and welcome to sheila's dt! You deserve to be there :) Kathi