May 15, 2013

'Cascading' Graduation Card!

I found the directions for the 'Cascading Card' in the Spring 2013 issue of CardMaker Magazine.  In January of this year, I created the card and posted in on my blog.  Click the link for pictures and complete instructions.

Yesterday I was asked to create a very special Graduation card for a young lady.  I immediately thought of using the 'cascade card' to create a unique, one-of-a-kind card.  Here is the card!
Everything that was used on this card is from 'Using My Stash'!  Most of these supplies I have had for years!  Look through your stash, you might have most of these Grad embellishments hidden in a drawer!!
Starting from the top...
*Martha Stewart Border Punch
*'Congratulations' stamp from Michaels
*Alphabet stickers, brand unknown
*Sizzex die "Flourishes 9, 10, and 11"
*Sizzex die "Branch with leaves"
*Rosette dies by Tim Holtz
*Graduation stickers, unknown brand
Close up of front.  Stickers and embellishment were in my stash.  I do not know brand/manufacturer.  Psalm 104:33 is the young lady's 'life verse'.
Close up of the top.  The 'Diploma' sticker was in my stash.  I applied the clear sticker to white paper.  To personalize the card, I used tiny letters from a alphabet sheet to add the young lady's name.
Side view of the card.  In the original directions for the card in CardMaker magazine, the back of the card was folded once.  I added a 'spine' to the fold to help the card support the weight of the front when standing.  Directions for this card can be found on the link at the top of this post.  Additional embellishments may be added to the inside folds of the card front.
Inside card
The card deserved special packaging.  Using a large sheet of white cardstock, I traced around a flat, unfolded,  small mailing box from the United State Post Office.  Then scored where the box folded, added patterned cardstock, and double sided tape.  Included in the box is a sheet of silver tissue paper to wrap the card.
Top of the box that holds the Grad card.  I used a glitter music cardstock to cover the outside of the box.  Then applied a beading to the top of the box.  I repeated the Bible verse, too.
Congratulations to Lindsey!  May her life be happy and successful!

I was also asked to create two birthday "Cascading Cards".
Click here to see those cards!
New Cascading Birthday Cards

7 comments:

Charlotte C said...

Wow, this blew my mind. It's gorgeous. My first-born granddaughter graduates next month and I am going to try this. TFS.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Carolyn this is just an awesome awesome card, I have never seen anything like that before and probably will have to get this a try. Thank you for sharing this card with us today!

DIANA L. said...

I actually got chills looking at this card (I know where that came from), it is so beautiful and the verse resonates. Thank God He gave you the gift of creativity!!

DIANA L.
http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

Karon said...

WOW - this is stunning!! Awesome card and love all the details on this card!! TFS

- - Sheryl - - said...

This is perfect! I am going to tryu and make a couple, as I have two children graduating this month. Thank you for the directions and yours is gorgeous!

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

Gorgeous card! So impressed you used your scraps too. Love the box you created cuz only a special box would be fitting for such a wonderful creation. TFS

Dk said...

This is an awesome card!!! TFS!!