April 15, 2014

How I make Shaped cards in Silhouette Design Studio!

Hi everyone.  Karon here, from Karon`s Krafty Korner.  Thanks Sheila, for letting me come by every month.

Today, I thought I would share with you, how I use Silhouette Design Studio to design shaped cards.

Firstly, I tend to look for digis that will be balanced when cut.  So, straight edges or places on the bottom line that are level.  I think you can probably, just about, do any digi image and make it into a full size card.

So import the digi that you feel is suitable and open it in Design Studio.  Today I am using an easel and image from the new Work and Play 3 Collection, at Polkadoodles.  I am going to make a Thank you card for a teacher :-)


If you click on the images, it will make them larger.

I have traced the image and then I offset the image by 0.125 using the offset tab.



Taking the offset image, I then flip it using the Replicate tab, and Mirror above.


Then I take the flipped image, and bring it down to the lower image, until it meets nicely, at a position I feel comfortable using. (depending on the image, and whether you are doing a mirror above, or mirror left right - the principle is the same)


Group the images together and then right click and weld, and you will end up with a card base ready to cut. 


At this point I also place the original image on the card base and size it how I want it.  Then separate the images once again.


I cut the card base first on kraft card, then using the print and cut feature I cut out the easel and the image (to be coloured). Scoring the card base using my score board.


Pop them all together and add a sentiment.  There you have it - a great teacher appreciation card.


I popped the teacher up onto some pop dots to add some dimension.


For the inside, just some little numbers and white area, to add your message.


And there you have it a great card for a teacher.


I hope you were able to follow the tutorial, please don`t hesitate to ask if you need something clarifying.

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

5 comments:

Charlotte C said...

Genius! I just did it following your directions. TY, Karon.

Karon said...

Thank you! Charlotte you will have to send me a photo :-) Glad you followed it and it was OK :-)

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

This card is adorable and I am paying close attention to the instructions as I need to learn how to do this! Thanks for sharing.

Boopster said...

Great card! Those polkadoodles are adorable. I got the Dolly Goes East collection and I'm still trying to figure it out! It looks like the Silhouette is easier to work using digi designs than the Cricut, but I'm not sure I'm ready to completely abandon my Cricut and head down the digi path, ha-ha! Your tutorial makes it look SO tempting, though.

Unknown said...

Karon I just LOVE this card!!! Just in time for the end of the school year!!!